So without further ado, here it is:
Elisenlebkuchen (Soft Christmas cookies)
- 5 eggs
- 300g sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinammon
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice/ xmas spices (Lebkuchen spice, if you can find it)
- 200g ground almonds
- 200g ground hazelnuts
- 100g candied lemon peel
- 100g candied orange peel
1. Beat the eggs and the sugar until fluffy
2. Mix in the spices, and candied fruit peel.
3. If the candied peel is in big chunks, cut it with a knife or otherwise chop into smaller pieces
4. Add the nuts and almonds to the egg mixture
5. Grease a baking sheet and make small mounds of the batter with a tablespoon.
6. Preheat oven to 180°C (Fan oven: 160°C).
7. Bake until the cookies are dry and light brown on the surface.