Saturday 11 April 2009

Bread Adventures: Oregano and bacon breads

My brother asked me to make him a batch of bread dough today, because he's off cycling and having a bbq with friends. He plans to wrap the dough around sticks or branches and bake them over the hot coals.

I did this for him last week too, using a basic white loaf recipe from Rachel Allen's Bake, which I have altered slightly by replacing part of the strong flour with extra strong bread flour and wholemeal flour (1 part each of wholemeal, plain, and extra strong) to make a tasty and slightly healthier brown bread.

Then my brother suggested adding some diced bacon to one half of the dough, and some fresh herbs to the other. He wanted to use basil, but I used oregano, as it has a more intense flavour that I think stands up better to the kneading and baking process.

I don't know what he thinks of it yet, but I sneaked a bit of the herby dough for a roll for myself, and must say I'm very pleased. Now I'm tempted to whip up a whole batch of it, some to eat today and the rest for freezing.

3 comments:

  1. I'm trying to figure out how the oregano bread worked. We've had good luck with herb breads in the past. {SMILE}

    Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know if you'll get notified of this comment, Anne, but the herb bread was pretty simple. I just used my regular bread dough recipe and worked in a good amount of herbs after the first proving and before shaping. Same with the bacon, just a regular bread recipe and add it after proving.

    Let me know if you want the dough recipe, I can post it (mean to do that anyway at some point).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got your comment. I usually remember to subscribe to them, tho not quite always. I can forget. {SMILE}

    The recipe sounds neat. Yes, I'd like that. {SMILE}

    Anne Elizabeth Baldwin

    ReplyDelete